Summer is almost here! Discover “Oceans of Possibilities” with us this summer from June 4 to July 30 during our Summer Learning Program. What’s Summer Learning? It’s a way for you and your family to Read, Discover and Create your way through the summer! Read a book, a magazine, the back of the cereal box: reading opportunities are all around you. Discover through hands-on exploration by coming to a library program or visit to a park. Create by designing, drawing, writing about and building sea creatures and their homes. There are an “Oceans of Possibilities” to what you can do.
To complete the program you need to Read 800 minutes, complete 4 Discover activities and 4 Create activities. At the halfway point of the program, after you have Read 400 minutes, done 2 Discover activities and 2 Create activities, you can stop by the library for a prize. Once you complete the program you will get a prize, a free book to keep, and a raffle ticket for one of the two prize baskets.
Our Summer Kick Off is on June 4th from 9am to 4pm. There will be a bounce house, free snow cones and visits from Elephant and Piggie, two of our favorite book characters!
We are excited to have an “Ocean of Programs” to add more learning and fun to your summer.
- Marvelous Mondays at the Arts Park Pavilion (Summit Lake, Absolute Science-Bubble Stations, Indiana Jim-Reptiles & Amphibians, Professor Steve-Water Show, Mark’s Ark-various animals)
- Wednesdays: FREE kid lunches 11:45am-12:30pm (June 15th – July 20th)
- Wednesdays Movies 10am & 2pm (Hotel Transylvania 3, Moana, SpongeBob-Sponge on the Run, Finding Dory, Rio, Surf’s Up, Shark Tale, The Little Mermaid, Capture the Flag, The Deep)
- Thursdays FREE Kid Breakfast 9:30am-10:00am (June 16th – July 21st)
- Thursdays in June: Family REC
- Thursdays in July: Family Storytime
- Fridays once a month STEAM Stations (June-Oceans, July-Fish)
- Pool Parties at the YMCA on June 11th and July 9th (2-3pm)
- Foam Party July 18th register online or in the library for this event.
Paper learning logs will be available at the Kick-Off party and the Children’s Department during Summer Learning. You can also download one here. We also have a new, easy to use app this year from Reader Zone, if you would like to track your child’s progress via an app. When you access Reader Zone for the first time, it will ask you for a code. For the Kids Summer Reading, the code is edcc1. You will be able to set up your account, but you won’t be able to start logging minutes until the first day of Summer Learning, which is June 4th.
See https://www.nchcpl.org/summer/ for more information and follow us on Facebook for the latest Summer Learning news.